- Cafe & Restaurant
- The Store
- Posh B&B
- Outside Catering
- Have you tried?
The building is thought to be the oldest house in Holt (the cellar possibly dates back to the 15th century), a survivor of the great fire of Holt in 1708 and a further fire in the building in 1906. The premises traded as a hardware store/ironmonger’s for over 100 years under the ownership of the Byford family, from which the building took its name.
The property ceased trading as an ironmonger’s in the late 80s when the building was purchased by Tony Saunders, a restorer of character properties. The building was in very poor health, the façade covered in white render, the interior full of dry rot and many of the original features hidden. Mr Saunders spent several years restoring the property and re-instated the character and earlier features that would have been evident in the 17th century.
The freehold of the building was sold in 2000 to Iain and Clair Wilson who hope to safely guide the business and building through the next 100 years!
In our first decade we have been pretty busy! The café has doubled in size featuring a green oak conservatory style extension to the rear, a new store has been created adjoining the café and the first and second floors have been transformed into a 16 bedroom Posh B&B. Of the first 10 years, we had builders on site for seven of them and the ‘foundations’ have been laid to provide a bright future for Byfords.